Municipal Garage employees report to the Fleet Operations Manager. Currently, we have a staff of 11 employees. The Municipal Garage’s operation consists of one Equipment Mechanic Lead man, one Senior Mechanic, one Welder/Mechanic, five Equipment Mechanics, one Municipal Garage Assistant, and one part-time Senior Principal Clerk.
- Regular shifts- During normal operations, Monday through Friday, we have two shifts: 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 3 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- Emergency winter operation shifts- To allow for 24-hour availability during emergency snow removal operations, we have two shifts: 3 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 3 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Summer hours - To assist with the street and sidewalk sweeping program during the summer months, we have two shifts: 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Monday through Friday only) and 3 p.m. to 1 a.m. (Monday through Thursday only)
Responsibilities and Services
The Municipal Garage Division’s responsibilities include the following:
- Assist the Safety Coordinator on accident and insurance costs
- Conduct repairs and vehicle rentals of 240 equipment pieces to all divisions within Public Works, and 110 pieces to other departments and agencies such as the Police Department, Fire Department, Recreation Department, Western Maine Transportation, Lewiston / Auburn Water Pollution Control Authority, Androscoggin County Sheriff’s Office, local schools, Seniors Plus, and the Lewiston Housing Authority
- Develop annual capital vehicle/equipment replacement listing
- Procure, store, and distribute gasoline and diesel fuels
- Provide road and field service repairs on disabled and non-movable equipment
- Provide support for the Police Department and the Public Works Highway Division during snow, ice, and any other emergencies
The Municipal Garage Division also provides welding services to departments citywide and assists the Highway and Building divisions with bridge maintenance and other welding projects. Another important function of this division is repairs to standby generators located citywide.